Friday, February 18, 2011

Granville Market, Vancouver






I love going to this market, even if you don't buy anything except a cappuccino! The vegetable and fruit stalls, you name it they got it, dragon fruit, blacberries, strawberries, every kind of lettuce, and they all are fresh. The meat counter, well if you desire rack of lamb, quail, phesant, pork and beef in every conceivable type of cut, they have got it. I noticed they had lamb shanks, at $7.95 per pound, I remember 50 years ago you
could buy them for .19 cents a pound! Fresh bread, cheese's , fish, candy
my grandson had to buy a 'jawbreaker' for his son. Remembering his own childhood when we would treat him with one. Outside is a fish stand here they sell fresh lobster (from the east coast, no lobster in these waters) shell fish, oysters . As we walked through the area, a busker with his guitar case open, seranaded us with his songs. The market is located under the Granville Street Bridge, on a marina with many boats moored here. I recall some 30 years ago we spent a night in this marina, on my brothers boat at that time we were the only one in the harbor. Today the sun is shining, yesterday was very cold, snow and wind, wind chill was somewhere around 40 below. Highways were closed,due to blowing snow and icy patches. Walking can be treacherous, I have slip on rubber treads on my boots and they keep me from falling. Why do we live here? We don't have hurricanes, earthquakes, tornados, tsunamis, and we are smart don't travel but stay home and communicate by mail andthis blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment